Wednesday, March 4, 2020

#SOL20 D4 Memory Lane

I cleaned out the garage this afternoon and discovered a stash of photographs my mom had given me this summer. The pictures from my 8th grade graduation caught my attention. Wow. So many thoughts. I showed this picture to my daughter and she said, "You like ... kind of ... geeky."

She's not wrong. I was kind of geeky (or pretty geeky).

In our defense, floral patterns were all the rage at the Fashion Bug that year, which was the main place a 13 year old in Findlay, OH could buy a fancy dress in 1990.


It's funny too that when I look at this picture, I remember feeling that crazy blend of insecurity and overconfidence -- I was sure I was fat. I was positive my bangs were just right. It reminds me to be gentle with myself and to be so patient with my own daughter who is just entering this phase. 

I love seeing the young girls in this picture with me. I'm still in touch with all of these girls, women now. I love keeping track of their accomplishments. This picture, taken 30 years ago, feels like another lifetime ago and yesterday. Time is so funny that way, isn't it?

6 comments:

  1. Great photo. I love how you bravely share what your young you was thinking. And I am impressed that you are all still in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that 30 years ago can "feel like another lifetime ago and yesterday." I have been experiencing this a lot lately as my youngest child is 16 now and we've been having more 'adult' conversations about life after high school. All those same thoughts came back to me of what it feels like to be contemplating all that comes with becoming an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I wrote about an adolescent memory too! I like the way you crafted this piece allowing the photo to take you back. I appreciated the little details about the Fashion Bug and your hometown. That crazy blend of insecurity and over confidence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! Look at all that "floral"! The best part about this post is that you are still in touch with all of the girls with you. THAT is quite a blessing. Sometimes I wonder what is going to stand out about the 2020s when we see photos in 2050.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I didn’t know you back then it’s not hard to pick you out!!

    ReplyDelete