Saturday, March 25, 2017

3.25.17 #sol17 Thankful Thieving

I think I've been living under a rock. I had never heard of Austin Kleon until last week. Now suddenly he's everywhere. And I just found out that he once attended the university where I now work (is that serendipitous? I just finished reading Amy Krouse Rosenthal's book Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal and I love what she wrote about those kind moments). I followed him on Twitter and as I'm reading through his website, I realize that I have heard people referencing his work for a while, but I'd never spent any time with it. Well, I just ordered all three of his books. And, thanks to Tricia Ebarvia's blog post from a few days ago, I'm stealing one of his writing prompts. 


Thanks to Emma, Jacob and Justin,
who taught me how to live in the moment.

Thanks to Greg,
who taught me about real love when he didn't get mad at me when I told him
I forgot my driver's license five minutes before we arrived at the Dayton airport.

Thanks to Emily,
who taught me how to cover my tracks, how to forgive, how to be a sister.

Thanks to Katie,
who taught me how to create an alliance, how to clean up puke, how to keep on pushing.

Thanks to Mr. McGonnell,
who taught me how to meet a deadline,
how to write a lead, and how to get tickets for Broadway shows.

Thanks to Mrs. Mathern,
who taught me how to be proud of my writing, and how to nurture original thinking.

Thanks to Barry Roth who taught me how to write a thesis statement,
and how to read Shakespeare. And how to not cry when things get hard.

Thanks to Tom Romano,
who taught me how to open doors.

Thanks to Dad,
who taught me how to fly a kite,
and throw a baseball,
and drive a car,
and cuss.
And how to love fiercely.

Thanks to Mom,
who taught me how to make green bean casserole.
And everything I know about being a mom, a wife, a woman: a human being.





6 comments:

  1. What an awesome slice! This fits into my gratitude post to start our slicing out! Thank you for sharing a new way of slicing, one I may have to try out myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love that idea! and you should try it! It was fun to see where my thinking led.

      Delete
  2. What a great post! I love this "Thanks to" format. I may need to try this one! :) I've never heard of Austin Kleon and I hear that Amy Krouse Rosenthal's book is a great one. I need to add it to my shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a really short read and it's even more poignant now. It was so, so good. I had read the Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life years ago and loved that too!

      Delete
    2. Love this and love Austin Kleon! I may use this idea at some point and need to pull my Kleon books and read through them again!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Love all your "thanks to" statements.

    ReplyDelete