Friday, March 8, 2019

Overscheduled and exhausted

I am so tired. Aren't you? We are all rushing through this life. We fill our calendars with so many things. And then we bump into each other at Kroger, or the skating rink, or at our kids' practice and we say things like, "How did we get so busy?"

You fools! I want to shout. At myself in the mirror. Stop saying yes to everything. To every. Thing. To all of the things.

I'm coming off a five-week bender of saying yes. Retreats and baby showers and conferences and more conferences. This night is the first Friday I will have slept in my own bed in five weeks. All because I can't get the word "yes" out of my mouth.

Please don't get me wrong. All of these things brought so much richness to my life. Each event and experience was something for which I am so grateful. But now I need to rest. I need to hunker down and carve out space for myself to recharge.

And that's hard to do. There are always more things to sign up for. But, please, friends, let us resist the urge.

I think about it with our kids too. We don't want our kids to have down time (why?! down time is AWESOME!). So we sign up for everything -- classes after school, travel teams, extra practices. And Lord help us if we have more than one child.

I am going to stop. For at least this weekend. Except for Sunday School. And birthday party gift shopping, and my son's black belt testing. But after that, no more.

And maybe if I'm lucky, I can clear next weekend too.


7 comments:

  1. Yes! We cannot pour from an empty cup... so hard to do, but so important. Good for you, and enjoy your very own bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Saying NO occasionally is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - I have gone through periods of my life like that, Angela, and it is not sustainable! Burn out can come too easily when you're burning your candle at both ends. Balance is the key, but it's not always easy to find. I hope you can slow down a bit! Your last lines made me cringe a bit: "I am going to stop. For at least this weekend. Except for Sunday School. And birthday party gift shopping, and my son's black belt testing. But after that, no more." Sounds like a busy weekend ahead! I hope you at least got a good night sleep in your own bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, thanks, Holly! It was bliss to slowly wake up this morning and not have anywhere to go. I'm still in my jammies!

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, did I need to read this! I loved the phrase "coming off of a bender of saying yes" because that's how I am. I am so worried about saying no and disappointing someone that I always say yes. Thanks for the reminder that it's okay to say no sometimes!

    ReplyDelete