Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Day 19: There is always...


My friend Holly wrote a beautiful blog post yesterday that 
inspired today's writing. 


There is always
a driveway
stretching out to the road,
a basketball hoop, 
a kickball field,
a pitcher's mound,
RipSticks scattered across the lawn.

There is always
a trio of kids,
of neighbors and children running triumphantly,
in the afternoon they
steal moments between school and bedtime.

There is always
a child
soaking up the sun,
sweat soaking through their t-shirt, 
getting ready for practice, or homework, or dinner.
I gaze out the window, marveling at their energy, 
wishing I could bottle these moments.

3 comments:

  1. I was also inspired by Holly's post which was inspired by Margaret's poem. (I am still working on this one of my own.) Your driveway sounds a lot like ours years ago. Your last line captured my heart - yes if we could only bottle those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that a driveway can inspire poetry! But yes! For you, it's a place where relationships and community thrive. I remember the basketball hoop in our driveway in Pittsburgh. The sound of the basketball hitting pavement, laughter, games...belonging.

    ReplyDelete