Saturday, March 9, 2019

Day 9 : Black Belt




"Dad, I feel like I swallowed a butterfly," my 9-year-old said. He was getting ready to test for his black belt in karate, a moment he's been building towards for two years.

Justin had been practicing his kicks and combinations for weeks. This week, he'd been rehearsing his knowledge. Greg and he had been running through it all.

So today, the day of testing, there was nothing left to do but test. As all the kids were lined up, ready to go, I tried to quell my own nervousness. It's so hard to watch your kids do hard things. And then, when they do it, the pride is overwhelming.

Justin nailed it today. After five months of working towards his black belt, he was able to bring it all together. I'm so inspired by his conviction and his passion towards doing his best.


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! My boys were in martial arts for several years. I was a bit disappointed when they quit just before earning their black belts. That is an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to watch your son taking these tests. Your post reminds me of my oldest boy taking the same test. I am sure your son was proud of his achievement. What a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so proud! And I think I was as proud of my husband as I was of my son. They both worked really hard on it!

      Delete
  3. How exciting! Congrats to Justin! I love the photos. :-) Happy smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear your pride in this post. But the hard work your son (and husband) put in shines through too. Kudos to both of them. Thanks for sharing the pics of this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Justin! Proud parent moment and here's to many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... best leather goods factory spain

    ReplyDelete