Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Remembrance for my Grandma

I really love Linda Rief's book Quickwrites. I realized yesterday that I have no living grandparents. My grandmother died two years ago. Not sure why it took two years for me to realize that I have no grandparents around. So when I saw this quickwrite, I knew I'd need to use it for my inspiration today. 


Remembrance for My Grandmother
Ann Norine Hildreth 1927-2020


I remember...we collected prayers
and made up stories and built
embarrassing memories and arranged
the extra chairs when company came
and set out special pickle dishes and read
out of the old Childcraft volumes
and played Trivia Pursuit and watched Jeopardy 
and talked about the Reader's Digest and
ate drumsticks on the front porch and
the last time I saw her, I told her I loved her
and even though she couldn't talk, 
I know she heard me.


Reflection: I loved writing like this! I write about my grandma often, but this made me think of even more memories and new ways to write about her! I encourage anyone to try it! 

3 comments:

  1. Simple, deceptively so, and sweetly specific. Memories sure do make powerful engines for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I thought, oh this will be easy. And then I was so pleasantly surprised by what happened. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this so much. Those last lines could have come from my own story. I think I need to get Linda's book back out to help me make it through to the end! Thank you for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete