Sunday, March 6, 2022

Bumper stickers

Have you noticed bumper stickers lately? The kids and I were driving back from my parent's house a few months ago and I was appalled at the vitriol on the truck ahead of me. The f-word was all over the back window. This word is certainly no stranger to my vocabulary, but on this stranger's car it felt personal. 

"F*( Joe Biden"

"Let's Go Brandon"

"F- your mask"

As we pulled into a gas station, I noticed the truck was there too. From the cab emerged a man who I couldn't imagine would ever say those things to my face. I was so angry that had I been by myself, I likely would have said something. And what would that have accomplished? But here I was, after following the guy on the highway for 25 minutes, personally affronted. 

Fast forward a week later. I was grabbing my morning Dt. Coke at McD's, and I noticed the car in front of me had a sticker. But this time, the message read "I hope something good happens to you today." I felt such a visceral dopamine hit. I realized I was smiling. It was a kindness from a stranger and it altered my mood. I carried that with me all day.

I ordered my own stickers the next day. I have it on the back of my minivan and sometimes it's a reminder to myself, to breathe. To treat people in the way this message reminds me. To look for the good in people, even when it's a little (or a lot) hard. 

It's also giving me something to live up to. How can I be rude or angry when I have such a sticker? What kind of hypocrite would I be? 

I hope something good happens to you today too. And here's a link if you want one too. 

(sorry for the dark picture...I had to run out at night to take it!)



3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't put a sticker on my car. Ever. If you see my post from today you might understand why. But I love this post. Taking a negative and making it into positive, not letting other people get you down! It's a great skill to have! Good brings good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the positive sticker! It is a nice contrast to all the increasingly vicious ones that I am seeing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sticker! I wonder what my car would be covered with if I were a driver. I'd like to believe I'd get this sticker, too. Maybe will anyway and put it in my office!

    ReplyDelete