Friday, March 4, 2022

Rambling Autobiography #sol22 Day 4

 Linda Rief's Quickwrites are my favorite! Here's her "Rambling Autobiography" followed by mine. 


Angela's Rambling Autobiography: 

I was born right before a blizzard, my young parents taking their new little family to a friend's house, one with a fireplace and lots of warmth. I adore Dietsch's chocolate covered pretzels. I bought my favorite pair or corduroy pants from Salvation Army and sewed a butterfly patch over the hole I burnt with a cigarette, back when I smoked (a lifetime ago). I snuck a copy of Forever by Judy Blume from desk to desk, a bunch of 8th grade kids at Catholic school trying to glean more than what the religion class tells us. That was the same year I prayed "God, please don't call me to be a nun. I really want to make out" after visiting a convent and hearing all about answering God's call. When I was 9, I lost my baby sister when she crawled through a tear in the screened in porch. My favorite place to hide was the tree house across the street, the one the older boys built. I can still smell the baby powder my mom would sprinkle on our newly cleaned sheets, something my husband still does for me today (only on my side of the bed). I am a daughter who grew up, a mom trying to create memories just as indelible. 

9 comments:

  1. I love this so much! What a fun, insightful inspiration piece and post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The details here are so strong, and there's such power in the juxtaposition of ideas. I really enjoyed reading your rambling autobiography--and thanks for the inspiration to try out this format myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I haven't thought about Rief's exercise in quite awhile. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have giggled a little about the nun comment! I love this as a way to warm up. I really just like to ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had such fun following all the bloggers who have tried this ... which brought me to you -- who started it all. I might just have to give it a go. I loved the journey of these rambling autobiographies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love that! I haven't see the trail yet. I'll have to look more closely!

      Delete
  6. The nun comment made me laugh out loud. Thanks for starting this - I'm reading bunches of them & am planning to write my own. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this. I am going to try writing my autobiography and for a slice and also share it with my students. I wonder what they would write if they tried this...Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, thank you for introducing me to Linda Rief's Quickwrites. I'm going to try this prompt tomorrow. What a kick about the prayer you prayed after visiting the convent. I prayed a similar prayer, a kid who walked down to the fundamentalist Bible church down the street. I always prayed that the rapture wouldn't happen before I got married and had kids.

    ReplyDelete