Friday, March 27, 2020

SOL20 D27 Five Friday Reflections On the Week

My dear friend Bri has started writing again and the text she sent me this morning inspired me. I love the way Bri is structuring her writing during this time, and so I'm standing on her shoulders for today's post. Thanks, Bri!

Things That Made Me Smile
Greg reffing driveway basketball games. The sun on our faces. Walks in the neighborhood, seeing people on porches. Sitting on my porch, watching kids walk by with their parents. The little girl who wouldn't say hi, but blew me a kiss. Hostas I planted last year poking up through the mulch - I'd forgotten all about them. Video chatting with my sisters, my neighbor, my colleagues. Picking up a hobby: I decided to try cross-stitch and ordered myself a kid last week. Turns out I ordered an embroidery kit, and I'm really loving it. The game Psych, an app that allows you to play with people all over. We played several times this week, and I got such a kick out of the haikus my family wrote about me -- I feel so seen (and yes, that is a picture of my 8th grade self).

Things That Made Me Lose My Shit
Greg hardly ever gets on my nerves, but on Sunday when he decided to test out the video chatting with his students WHILE I was video chatting with my sisters, I thought I might make him move to the back porch. Let's just say, this upcoming week is going to be a challenge on both the wi-fi capabilities and our teamwork. And just all the talking. There's so much talking all the time. The last time I spent this much time with the kids at home, they still took a 3-hour nap in the afternoon. They don't want to do that anymore.

Things I'm Grieving This Week
Missing spring break and the traditions we've built going to Florida the last several years. Missing my niece's first birthday (thank God for Zoom). Knowing that Emma and Jacob will be celebrating their 13th birthday without any real fanfare. Normalcy and routine. Confidence in the "system." When I talk to people in healthcare, I get scared. Haircuts - all the boys in this house are in desperate need.

Thing I'm Celebrating This Week
A week where I think we created some great memories. Finding a new normal and routine. Embracing a slower pace. Getting back on my bike and doing a few peloton workouts this week (I want to do more!). Eating meals together - lunch AND dinner!

Gratitude
I have so much gratitude for people who protect us - anyone who works in healthcare, all the people at the grocery store, the people who are keeping things familiar. And they do it knowing that they might become exposed to the virus. I'm in awe of these people. I'm thankful for hugs from Justin; every time he sees me, he leans over to give me a hug. I'm so grateful for technology that allows us to feel a little less isolated, a little more productive, and to continue working. And books! I'm always grateful for books. I'm reading three books right now - Untamed by Glennon Doyle (another thanks to Bri!), Stamped by Ibram Kendi and Jason Reynolds, and Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson. Oh, and Dewey's Edgar Allan Poe pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment