Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Sunshine Moments

Today we had a fire drill. I happened to be visiting a kindergarten classroom at the time, and as the kids lined up, I noticed one little girl plugging her ears, her face starting to crumple. 

"Would you like to hold my hand?" I asked her. She nodded and slid her palm into mine. As we filed out to the sidewalk in front of the building, she held my hand the whole time. I didn't know this kiddo, but I was so grateful to offer her a little bit of comfort. 

Before I knew it, my other hand was full too. Not wanting to be left out, another kindergartner had sidled up to me. For the next ten minutes, one girl talked my ear off while the other one stood quietly, never letting go. 

And then the fire drill was over and once back in the classroom, my two new friends headed back to their seats. 

This sweet moment today reminded me that it's been a long time since I've held a kindergartner's hand, probably five years since Justin was that age. And somehow, that kind of casual contact felt more bittersweet in light of the year we've had. 

I'm grateful for that moment of sunshine. 



2 comments:

  1. You captured the innocence of some of our youngest learners and turned a fire drill into something magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew a fire drill could create such a sweet moment? I'm sure those two littles will never forget you.

    ReplyDelete