Thursday, March 11, 2021

Goodnight kisses

I feel like I've been waiting for this moment, the moment when my kids put themselves to bed. But then, it happened. And I was not prepared.

Last night my 13-year-old Jacob texted me "Gnight." 



He's been pulling away little by little. And I know it's normal. But damn, it hurts, doesn't it?

The twins' bedtime, at nearly 14, has been creeping later and later. For years, I tucked them in. I gave them kisses, rubbed their backs, said their prayers. In the last year or so, they now come downstairs and give me a kiss on the cheek when they're ready for bed. 

In the last few weeks, I send a text reminding them that it's bedtime. And last night. Oh, last night. I received this text from Jacob in response to my usual "bedtime" text.


I'm going to be very honest. I've been dreaming of this moment. 

And once it arrived, I wanted to take it all back. Wasn't he just in kindergarten?



Here's what makes my heart happy, though. A few minutes later, I got this text:



And, so, as my sweet babies pull away from me in the most natural way, I'm going to hold on to the emoji kisses. Because who knows, that might be the last time I get one of those! 


4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! This is so endearing and precious. I could imagine the heartbreak and the happiness and I felt like celebrating those little emojis on my monitor - thanks for the screenshot! So authentic :o) There's nothing like a boy's love for his mom - and you still have every ounce. May you feel those kisses for a lifetime. They really are #priceless.

    Enjoy!

    ~Carla Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Angela. EVERY TIME - tears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! Crying! And relating!
    Ellie’s been in this place for an entire year.
    She never hangs up or goes to bed without love you— and every once in a while she leans into me to get a quick kiss on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh! Crying! And relating!
    Ellie’s been in this place for an entire year.
    She never hangs up or goes to bed without love you— and every once in a while she leans into me to get a quick kiss on the head.

    ReplyDelete