Saturday, March 13, 2021

Big Kid Mom

Things are starting to feel normal-ish. Tonight felt super normal. 


Justin, who is 11, had his neighborhood buddy show up around 2:30 today. I was grateful as I was hoping for a relatively screen-free weekend. The boys were jumping on the trampoline and playing with the dog. 

I looked out the window an hour later and there were two more neighbor boys jumping, laughing, horsing around. I couldn't stop smiling

I left for a bit to pick the twins up from a youth group event. When I got home nearly an hour later, there was yet ANOTHER friend out back. Now there were five kids jumping and laughing. My heart was singing! 

Every Wednesday Justin has been attending "Adventure Crew" after-school. Part of this experience has been learning how to start a fire, a skill which Justin has perfected. So tonight Justin and another friend started a fire in our fire pit. They tended to it, figuring out where to place the fire wood. Justin taught a third friend how to strike a match. 

I loved every minute. 

Having big kids is amazing. Watching them grow into these little people, with thoughts and talents and feelings that have nothing to do with me is both humbling and inspiring. I just love it. 

The kids kept the fire going long enough to make s'mores. They begged to jump on the trampoline in the dark. They got trampoline lights for Christmas and they've been waiting and waiting to use them. 

I listened to them gossip about school friends, talk about baseball, and strategize what foods to eat next. I listened to them laugh and tease and call each other by nicknames I didn't even know they had. 

I'm so grateful to be in this moment, to be a mom of big kids. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so wonderful! I love those trampoline lights! This is what childhood and growing up is supposed to be like - the outdoors, playing, talking, creating memories. Thank you, spring, for coming every year - pandemic or not. Haha. I really feel like things are starting to reset and become more normal. Halleluiah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, such a sweet post! Sounds like such a nice day! Love when the kids get to be outside and enjoy the weather! We built a fire tonight too! Enjoy these special moments!

    ReplyDelete