Monday, March 5, 2018

Facebook Memories

I think Facebook wants me to have another kid. It's not happening, but every so often Facebook memories unearths a sweet moment from that time when I had 3 kids under 3. And because of the highlight reel feel of social media, all I remember now is those sweet faces, those tiny voices, and how happy we all look. Don't get me wrong, this time of life is amazing. We're just older and busier. I'm far enough away from the chaos that I can feel nostalgic about the crazy days.

And so as I watch the young parents around me, I think about all I want to say to them, but won't. (with thanks to Ron Koertge for the inspiration)

I Have So Much Advice For Those of You Starting Out

Give up sitting at a table for a meal. You'll
jump up and run around,
wiping messes, scooping seconds.
You'll wipe up milk, sticky juice.
But you're building towards days
when you can all sit together.

Also, it's all right to take a nap, grabbing
some sleep when you can. Or sit and read a book,
Or check in on your phone for a bit.
Carve out space for quiet, to listen to your own breath.

Avoid reading too many blogs about parenting,
or advice columns. 75% of the time,
the things you're worried about turn out to be nothing.
But sometimes your gut is right on.
That's why it's important to find a good pediatrician,
or a friend with older kids.

Not surprisingly, playgrounds are a good place to hang out.
You'll need to get out of the house,
to meet other people,
to wear your kids out.
Find the four nearest playgrounds and start rotating.

Don't feel like you always have to play with your kids,
but push them on the swings for a little bit.
Teach them to pump their legs.
Watch them when they say "Mom! watch this!" for the 50th time.
But then stand far enough away that they can wander.

You who didn't ask for my advice, please hear this:
Try to live in the moment, soak up those memories.
Archive -- pictures, videos -- so that in a few years,
when the fog clears and you feel like yourself again,
you'll remember the halcyon days.

No comments:

Post a Comment